Wednesday, April 11, 2007

American Idol: The Discussion (Part 1)

UnFan: Let's assume it's Rapper American Idol. Let's assume... this is a show. American Idol has some "don't" singers, which nobody should try because those singers are too much for these normal ass people to attempt. Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Stevie Wonder. Are there rappers that contestants on Rapping American Idol not try? I think if a flow is too fast, it should not be attempted. I don't want to see someone attempt a Mystikal song or a Twista song, when it's so hard to rap so fast and be understood. That's an easy way to get embarrassed/eliminated. But at the same time, nobody should take the easy way out with a Ma$e song or someone with a slow ass flow because that's just lazy.

Jason: A cliche song that no one wants to hear, or thats overheard. Like any thing from Bad Boy circa 93-97. Especially "Mo' Money [Mo' Problems]".

UnFan: So "Juicy" is a do, but "Hypnotize" is a don't?

Jason: Pretty much, any Biggie. Except if it was Biggie. Or something thats completely out of your element. Like if I tried to pull off Tupac, it wouldn't work: 1. I wouldn't feel confident in doing a song that I could not relate to. But thats me personally. 2. I got nothin' for a second point, the first one summed it up. I would try to do a song that fit more of my range, and also do a song of an artist that isn't recognized on a grand scale that I think should. Because I'm on this show for a reason, whomever in charge says I'm good enough to be here. That says something, so if I like something, and you like me, exo facto, you should like said artist.

UnFan: So your big don't is anything outside of their connectivity. Like, a Tribe fan shouldn't do a Eiht song, and vice versa?

Jason: Well, I don't know. I see what you're saying. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't try to do something out of your element, thats a better way of stating it, cause using specific groups/emcees is too vague. Cause in a Tribe song they give a shout out to MC Eiht.

UnFan: True, but that don't mean a Tribe fan listens to Eiht.

Jason: I dont. And its not that I wouldn't, I just havent.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We rap about what we see, meaning reality
From people bustin caps and like Mandela bein free
Not every MC be with the negativity
We have a slew of rappers pushin positivity